Wow. I am so glad it's November. October was quite possibly the longest month of my life. Now, to be fair, there were 5 weeks in October but I thought this month was never going to end.
I'm not sure if it dragged by because the newness has worn off and things are getting more familiar and routine or if because I'm missing people more or if it's simply because there really were more days in this month.
In all actuality, it's probably a combination of all three. Everything is not new and amazing anymore. The humdrum of everyday life is setting in. I still enjoy going to the store everyday but now when it's raining, I mourn the fact that I can't jump in my car and head down to Price Chopper. I've wanted to kick my bike several times after the pedal hit my leg for the upteenth time, sending waves of pain through my leg. I've held back many tears when I can't find what I need in the store.
Somedays I feel like I'm not cut out to be a housewife. I like going to work, I hate cleaning. I like feeling like I have a purpose everyday, not wandering lost throughout a foreign city. I miss having a closest. I miss having friends that I know I can call up and go do something with. (Luckily I have made a friend who I "email up" and we go meet up:) I'm pretty sure I'd be going crazy by now if that were not the case).
I missed celebrating Halloween and seeing my niece dressed up. I missed the 2nd annual Halloween Party at the Andes. I missed game nights with friends. I missed birthdays and gatherings and longingly facebook stalked everybody's parties and costumes.
I know this is kind of a debbie downer of a post and it's not meant to be. It's meant to show that there are difficult days. Most days are good--really good. I still wouldn't trade my life for anything right now. I live in frickin' Europe! I get to walk/ride over beautiful canals everyday that are surrounded by old world buildings. I get to eat fresh foods from the weekly markets. I haven't driven a car in 2 months. I get to travel to many different countries. I'm like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, riding around on my bike with my basket on the front and my little dog Tozer (when he comes:( ).
But still, like Dorothy says, "There's no place like home".
Monday, November 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow I feel for you sam. I don't see how you are doing it. I probably would be crying every day. And that is about how much we miss you and dan and your smiling face. Hang in there. GOD is with you every step of the way even when you can't find vanilla in the store. Laurie
ReplyDeleteSam, we miss you two so much. I'm just glad we can talk on the phone. I'm praying for you both.
ReplyDeleteI totally hear you... Most days, Reed keeps my mind off any boredom or sadness. But it really, really helps to have you to hang out with, too! A one-year-old doesn't quite fill the daily conversation void... I cannot wait for the Christmas Mart tomorrow! BTW, did you see what I did today? We went to see Bob the Builder. I'm in Europe and that was the highlight of our day. Ha!
ReplyDeleteSam, trust me, you are missed more than you know. Game nights, halloween parties, etc., are just not the same without you!
ReplyDelete