Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Christmas Quandry


This weekend was the much anticipated Kerstmarkt (Christmas market) at the second hand store. I was rushing Dan out the door so we could be there right at 10am when it opened. Dan was heckling me, saying that there wouldn't be a line. But if anybody knows Christmas markets, it's me. And there was most definitely a line.We finally got in after a small, 60 year old Japanese woman pulled a stealth maneuver and cut in front of us(I mean really, what is anyone going to do about it?). We got some beautiful old ornaments and decor for a great price and I can't wait to decorate our house for Christmas!! But this leads me to the great Christmas Quandry. . .

When do I start decorating for Christmas?

I have always been a staunch believer that the Christmas tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving. Not one minute before. You must fully celebrate Thanksgiving before moving onto Christmas. My problem, you see, is that they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here(it being a American/pilgrim/indian tradition and all). 

"Ok Sam", you might say, "just go ahead and celebrate Thanksgiving even if the rest of the country doesn't and then put your Christmas tree up the day after". Well friends, my problem with that is two fold.

1. Dan doesn't get Friday off (or Thursday for that matter) and decorating for Christmas is a family event.

2. They celebrate Sinterklaas day. . .on December 5. Santa arrives on a boat from Spain in mid November and makes his way around to kids, who leave their shoes out by their bed and he fills it with candy the weeks leading up to and including December 5.

So, if we are also going to celebrate Sinterklaas day, it would make sense that it would be all right to start decorating for it more than one week before the day? Hence, putting my decorations up before Thanksgiving. 

You can see my dilemma. 

The tradition is deeply ingrained in me from my mom, who pulls out her 5 Christmas trees and 25 bin boxes of Christmas decorations (this is no exaggeration) the day after Thanksgiving. 

 I am not sure how to settle this quandry deep within my soul.

5 comments:

  1. Sam-
    You are in/on a different culture/continent, make your own rules. It will all be okay, and I agree if they celebrate something Dec. 5, then the 26th is to late to decor up. Do it before and just know that these are your Netherlands' rules, not rules for when you are back in the States, of course you could always keep them if you wanted too! :-) Nicole
    P.S. 102 on the radio started playing Christmas music today, so it is not like you started decorating Nov. 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nicole- make your own Dutch traditions! Go along with what they do & that will be fun. Then when you come back here, you can go back to your American ways! Have fun with it & enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I think that's what I'll do! I'm waiting to see Christmas trees start popping up around here to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer Meisberger (Boyd)November 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM

    Hey...I have an idea for you:
    If you still want to celebrate Thanksgiving, ask your American couple friends if they would like to celebrate Thanksgiving with you and your husband. One of you can make the turkey, gravy, potatoes and the other can bring the green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, rolls, pie, or whatever...etc...just a thought-that way you are celebrating with a couple who understand the importance of Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer Meisberger (Boyd)November 5, 2010 at 2:18 AM

    Oh, I forgot to say-do it that weekend since Dan doesn't get Thursday or Friday off :)

    ReplyDelete