Wednesday, October 20, 2010

S'more what?

In a foreign country, you have to get creative with food because well, they just don't have all the same yummy goodness that we have back home. I have many a story about being in a grocery store, surrounded by employees trying to help me figure out a Dutch equivalent to what I'm looking for.  Some of these items seem to be necessities to us(ie baking soda, baking powder,vegetable oil, chocolate  chips, cookie sheets, etc) but not so much to them. So I am trying to figure out the Dutch alternatives and when there are none, that's when I call on you guys to send it to me :)

So another American friend who has been here for a few years, gifted me with an alternative to a favorite American fall goody--the S'more. As mentioned before, marshmallows are a seasonal thing and graham cracker? forget about it. But they do have things close enough.


These are the usual suspects--Dutch style. We have the "mallow cocktail"; the "country biscuits", and the "melk chocolade".



Pair those with a gas stove and


Voila! A Dutch S'more.

They were pretty good for not being real s'mores. I think they will suffice.

3 comments:

  1. Can I come over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great recipe for homemade marshmallows that are even better than the store-bought kind if you want to try making them when they are no longer in season :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HECK YES! i want that recipe!!

    ReplyDelete