Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tonight. . .I dine alone

Dan is gone at a work dinner for some going away party where they will probably charge too much for the food and too little for the drinks. So I am home alone, fixing myself some pasta and enjoying a chilled glass of wine. I am typing this in my dining room, with my computer propped up because, well, the screen is barely attached to the rest of the keyboard. See pic below

I'm enjoying some great, fresh baked bread. Every few days (or however long it takes us to go through a loaf), I go to this bakery down the street and get some "grand-mere wit" (grandma white). It is fabulous and tastes better than any sliced bread back home.


And during all of this, I'm pondering how to get my clothes to dry faster. We do not have a dryer and washed these clothes two nights ago and they are still damp in places. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get them to dry faster, it would be much appreciated!
Today I was walking around with my friend Damaris (see previous post) and we were talking about how much we liked Leiden and how it would be nice to live in some place similar back in the States.

I think I am really enjoying "city" life. It's a different kind of city life though. Or maybe it's just a different kind of people. Or maybe it's both. The Dutch don't operate on a fast pace. They don't operate on a slow pace though either. They seem to enjoy life and take it all in.I know I've griped about the shops closing at 6 (and not opening until 10!) but it's sort of nice. It's not really a rat race here. No one is trying to keep up with the jones's. Let's see how many more silly cliche's I can put in one paragraph:) But, truth be told, I like it. I like being able to walk to places everyday and be able to actually enjoy the journey. I love all the different cultures I encounter and the different people I get to meet. And somedays, I even enjoy not speaking the language because I can get caught up in my own thoughts and not what is going on around me.

I think I'll stay for awhile. And I invite any and all of you to come visit us! Hopefully by then we'll have a couch, but if not, it will make you more able to fully participate in the adventure that is our life. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam! I LOVE following your blog and reading about all your adventures!
    What if you put a floor fan next to your clothes drying rack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was wondering about the drying situation. the fan sounds like a great idea but... I bet you don't have one :) A blow dryer would be way too time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you asked neighbors or melanie what people without dryers, do?
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawg, what's the deal with the couch? Why don't you just go buy one? Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete