Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dutch 101

I had my second Dutch class today and it went much better! I even found myself nodding along with the professor at some points because I actually understood a little of what she was saying..or at least was trying to convey. Another American joined the class today. She caught me after class and asked if I was from the States and said she could recognize my accent. That will be nice to have another person struggle through the "g" sound with me.

On my way to class, I  was biking along, feeling pretty awesome about my biking self when I was bombarded by a flock of pigeons. Pigeons are kind of like squirrels back home but much more comfortable. They don't really move out of your way. I almost hit two pigeons and felt like I was in the episode of Modern Family where the pigeon is in Cam's house. One nearly flew in my face, causing me to swerve my bike and almost hit a light pole.  But no fear fellow readers, I maintained my position on my bike and did not fall off!!

I have not gotten my bike yet but am going to check on it today. I found a picture very similar to what it looks like and what Dutch bikes look like in general.


And for those wondering about how they get kids around, it looks like this




Or, if you have too many to put in the front and back, you may ride something that looks like this...



Overall, it's pretty crazy. Now imagine me on the first bike, with Tozer(my dog) in the basket and my groceries in the back. That is my life people, that is my life.

2 comments:

  1. wow that pigeon story is so funny i was laughing out loud picturing you ride your bike while pigeons are flying around trying to get out of your way. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will your bike have a basket like the first pic? I think that's so cute and Tozer will look great in it!!! You'll have to post a pic.

    ReplyDelete