Have we talked about the Dutch stairs yet? Because we need to. I'm not sure where they got the bright idea to build stairs the way they do. They are steep, narrow, winding, and the actual stair itself is not wide enough to accommodate a grown person's foot. Most times, you actually have to go down sideways and don't even try to hang on to a railing because more often than not, there isn't one.
These stairs pose a problem for me in my everyday life because well, frankly, I have a hard enough time walking up or down regular stairs. At my new cleaning job, the stairs are crazy Dutch (that's what I've taken to calling these types of stairs) and there are 31 tiny, winding, narrow stairs that I have to climb from the first floor to the third. Yes, I've counted them. I'm sure they will be my demise one of these days when I'm carrying the vaccuum upstairs to clean their only stretch of carpet in the house. A 5x3 piece in the hallway. I found some pictures online of typical Dutch stairs. THey really doesn't do them justice so I suppose you will have to come experience them for yourself!
Also, I found out today that the TNT Post, which who delivers our mail, is on strike. Strike? You can't go on strike! I have Thanksgiving items coming my way and care packages from home! What kind of mail service goes on strike? I also have my passport coming back from the US Embassy where I had sent it to get my name changed. Hope that comes soon because my time to apply for my residency permit is quickly running out!! Hmm, I may be home for Christmas after all!!:)
And last but certainly not least, did everyone hear that Prince William is finally engaged to his longtime girlfriend?Not sure why this interests me. I think I have this unrealistic expectation that anything that happens in Europe, I will get to be a part of. . .
1. Prince William's wedding will be taking place in the spring in London. I am close to London.
2. The 2010 Olympic games are also taking place in London. I am close to London.
3. The Tour De France is actually in France! It's kind of like Cinco de Mayo. You know what it says but it never really registers with you that it's the 5th of May or that the Tour De France is actually in France.
4. I will stop now before everyone stops reading because they've decided I'm a complete idiot.
And last but not least, we are hoping to take a trip over Christmas that is less expensive than coming home but will also allow us to travel. Has anyone been anywhere in Europe during Christmas time that they would recommend? So far we are looking into Switzerland and Austria and would like to go somewhere cold, in keeping with the Christmas spirit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ha! I just posted a blog with random thoughts as well. :-) We both had many random thoughts on our mind today! I will ask my friends this weekend if they have suggestions for Christmas time (he's Spanish and they've lived in Paris for a few years and have traveled all over Europe so they might have good ideas). Iceland is supposed to be amazing and very affordable. Anyway, I will see you tomorrow! I might wait until Friday to go to the Kringle (I will have a car then -- want to take a drive?). We can chat in the morning. D:-)
ReplyDelete