Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanksgiving on the brain

Ahh, pumpkin. This arrived in the mail today from my dear friend Katie Theriot. What is Thanksgiving time without lots of pumpkin recipes??


I already had Thanksgiving on the brain because during class this morning, my Australian friend told me she had been invited to a Thanksgiving meal by some of her American neighbors. She was very excited about it and was asking me what kind of foods she should bring. I started listing off traditional Thanksgiving foods and was getting so excited just talking about it! 


She asked if it was a tradition for people to go around at dinner and say what they are thankful for. I told her it was a good idea and that more people should do it.  She also said that the kids were going to be given bonus points for naming the most US states. It's pretty funny to think about people not knowing the states or understanding how our country is set up. She asked where I was from and when I told her Missouri, she asked if that was in Arizona :) I told her we had learned a song to memorize all the states in elementary school and maybe I started singing it right there . :) I immediately went home and googled "thanksgiving" to get some more history on it to share with my class.




I'm excited to reflect on all of our traditions and really give thought to why we do what we do. I think it will help us to appreciate our holidays more and to not take them for granted. 


And a funny international tidbit for the day: In Australia, they call their "Baby boomers", the "gray army"! She said that they all are no longer leaving their inheritance to their children but instead blowing through all their money by buying Winnebago's and driving all across the country like maniacs! I Love it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! So glad it arrived intact! Take pictures of what you cook!! Yum!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete