Monday, November 29, 2010

First Snow!

We had our first snow today in Leiden! I had to ride up to Dan's work to bring something for my residency permit and it started spitting snow on the way. It was a long, cold ride. By the time I got home, my legs were numb. I think I'm going to need some long underwear to survive here. I'm pretty sure it's going to be interesting trying to navigate my bike in the snow. The streets get pretty slippery it seems so I may be forced to being a walker again for a good part of the winter.

Later tonight though, I looked out our window and saw big, beautiful snowflakes! The ground was quickly becoming covered and I was anxious to get out in it! So we took a walk outside (see, here it is normal to take a walk in the snow/cold because you know you have to go out anyways at some point during the day so it is not so bad). We got some beautiful pictures of the canal at night.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha,

    I got your blog from Dan today and really enjoyed reading about our Dutch ways from an American perspective. I spend half a year in Manhattan so understand a lot of the differences you mentioned (I still get angry that I have to ask for water at a restaurant and then have to pay for it).

    Leiden is lovely when it snows it's canals are mystical specially when you stroll around at midnight when everything is quiet. I have to start doing that in my new hometown aswell. Nice pics.

    If you and Dan would like to visit the Kerstmarkt in Dordrecht just email me and we can organise something. I do have to work that weekend but could pick you guys up at the trainstation on saturday around 19.00 and have dinner at our place and then we could stroll around the market and you could also sleep over if you like and go into town to see all the historical buildings and carolling http://www.kerstmarktdordrecht.nl the next day if you like. Just let me know. Jeroen and I love having guests over and have been guests of people all over the world when we were travelling by contacting people through www.hospitallityclub.org.

    Kind regards,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yyonne! I'm so glad you enjoyed the blog! It's helpful to me to get some of my thoughts out about our adventure!

    We would love to come visit Dordrecht and the kerstmart! How long does it go? The problem is is that I am leaving this weekend to go back to the States for a month (to be on the tv show and for Christmas). I know some of the Kerstmarkts go into January, does this one? If not, we would definitely like to come down and visit and have a tour around when we come back from holiday!!

    I'm going to check out those websites you posted. That hospitality club sounds neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha,

    This market only lasts three days in December so maybe we can give you a tour around town after you come back from your holidays and winning wheel of fortune (LOL).

    Having a blog is great for digesting all that is comming at you while being out of your comfort zone. We also had a website going when we were on our 18 month trip. It is also nice later on because by writing it down it will stay with you much longer and more vividly.

    Hospitalityclub was great to us since we got to meet very nice people from Romania to Pakistan and sometimes met them just in town or stayed for a few days as their guests in their homes. It also might be a costeffective way of exploring parts of Europe without having to book expensive hotels.

    Enjoy your stay with your family and friends and see you later.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.tuckerbox.nl/
    for american goodies cravings in the middle of Leiden

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I can't wait for our first snow!

    ReplyDelete