Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shopping...Netherlands style

Sorry for the delay in postings, it's been a pretty uneventful week. But this weekend wielded a ton of fun and new activities!


On Friday night, we went to our first small group through church. Naturally it started raining when we were riding our bikes there and while it was not far at all, we were both drenched by the time we got there. Water running down our faces, my jacket soaked completely through, we looked like drowned rats. Seems like I am going to have to learn to ride with an umbrella. But we had a good time and met some nice people. 


A few girls from this same group had arranged a shopping date on Saturday in a town South of ours. I had been looking forward to this outing all week for numerous reasons. I was eager to get out of Leiden for the day, excited to go shopping, and excited about spending some time with people I had met. 


Four of us went, 3 Americans and 1 Aruban. It was very nice walking around, speaking in English. For a few seconds, I could almost believe that we were in America. But then I'd see an ad in Dutch or nearly get ran over by an unruly Dutch child ( they take a pretty laid back attitude towards parenting here, which means the kids are out of control, running wildly around, while their parents sit back and drink their tea) and remember I was still in a foreign country. 


We had a lot of fun and while it wasn't quite like the shopping malls back home, it was still pretty neat. When I got home, Dan had a wonderful surprise awaiting me. Tune in tomorrow to see pics and hear about the very "cleansing" surprise!


Here are some pictures of the shopping center!









1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear from you. I was beginning to worry. It also crossed my mind that maybe dan surprised you with second honeymoon. So glad you got out with some friends.

    ReplyDelete