I am so excited to be coming home! It's less than 2 weeks away now! I have a feeling that the month I am home will be like a whirlwind. I'm also anxious to see how I will feel and what things will be like. I've adjusted to not being able to understand what people around me are saying or having to hop on my bike to go somewhere. I've started writing my grocery lists in Dutch (with the help of google translate and my Dutch language class of course) because it's easier to find what I need or ask someone when I'm there.
I think it will be interesting to know what the cashier is saying to me at the store. To see signs in English and not have to take the time to process in my brain the translation. What if I'm on Wheel of Fortune and I blurt something out in Dutch?!(ok, i'm not that good yet:) )
I think it will be an adjustment coming back, even though it hasn't been that long. I've worked so hard to adapt my brain to think differently here,now I have to reprogram it for a short time to function American style.
And then there's the question of when I come back. I am nervous about the adjustment period there as well. I hope it won't be like starting over. My Australian friend in my Dutch class is going to email me her notes so I can keep up with the class but even that will be difficult because who wants to do homework when there's Chipotle to be eaten and cars to be driven??
I'm excited for our trip home but I hope it doesn't set back the integration process here too much, because the reality is is that this is my home for the next 4 years.
Tuesday, November 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Lady,
ReplyDeleteI think you'll do great. Seeing everyone for a while will be a good thing. You do a wonderful job of building relationships wherever you are, that's part of who Sam is. And, it's only 3 and a half years left! It'll be interesting to see what parts of the Netherlands you like better. There are always good and bad wherever you live. You can always talk to Dan in Dutch!!!! (ok, maybe not) I can't wait to see you both.