Only one person will be able to full appreciate this post and really get the craziness of the task I'm undertaking. This person is probably still picking up sequins off of our living room floor from last Christmas.
Last Christmas Dan and I decided we didn't want to spend a lot of money on each other for Christmas and were going to make homemade gifts. I got the brilliant idea to make Dan a stocking. My mom made all of us kids stocking growing up and I always loved them and thought it would be a great tradition to carry over. Well, I got this brilliant idea about 3 weeks before Christmas. Little did I know the task that I was undertaking.
I spent hours cutting out felt, sewing pieces together, sewing individual sequins on this stocking. Meagan and I would be watching tv as I would sew for hours, desperately trying to get it done and cursing myself that I hadn't thought to start sooner. It was a nightmare. We were finding sequins for months all over our house. But the end result was amazing.
But after that I swore I was never going to do that again and that our kids would just have to suffer with a plain old red stocking while Dan had this magnificent one.
So what possessed me to have my mom send me another stocking for me to make for myself? Good question guys, I have no idea. I think it's kind of like having a baby. It's painful and terrible and you swear at the time you are never going through that again but very shortly after the sweet little baby is born, you forget about all the pain and trauma.
Yes, I do realize I am comparing having a baby to making a stocking. The stocking making was pretty intense.
But the moment I opened the package to look at the stocking, all the terrible feelings came rushing back.
This is what the stocking looks like.
I am feeling sick to my stomach.
This is what it should look like when it's done.
What have I gotten myself into???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Did you feel physical pain, Sam?! Do you have to be responsible for this stocking 24/7? Do you have to hire a sitter to just go out to dinner? Does this stocking snot and hurl all over you? Do you love this stocking more than life itself?! Do you like to take your stocking to the park?! Do you squeeze and hug your stocking daily and cry as it gets older?! NO?! Haha, then making that stocking can't be that much of an under-taking ;)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely felt physical pain (needles anyone?) I was responsible for keeping my precious stocking safe from Tozer. Sometimes Meagan watched the stocking for me while I went and made dinner. It hurled sequins all over me daily. I love the boy I made the stocking for more than life itself. Sometimes I did take it to the park to give it a little fresh air. I definitely squeezed and hugged my stocking and cried tears over it while it was in the making.
ReplyDeleteI told ya, it was intense. ;) Child bearing ain't got nothing on stocking making. hahaha! (kidding of course to all you moms out there!)
So funny Sam...I think it is comprable...less work...less enjoyable...you only get to admire it for a month a year.
ReplyDelete