This is my first week being left alone since being married. Dan is another part of the Netherlands for a conference all week. It's kind of weird/sad/relaxing all in one. I'm excited for him to come back though on Friday.
On Saturday we get our washing machine! Yea! no more major trips to McWash...yep that's what the laundrymat here is called. We got our washing machine at the Kringkloop (aka the second hand store) so let's all hope it works well!
And since we've been here about a month now, it's time to reflect more on some of the differences between here and home.
1. They mostly still use aerosal can for deodorant...what?! I haven't used spray on deodorant since I was like in 6th grade. it's weird, I'm not gonna lie.
2. They are really kind of rude. I think they would say they are just focused and blunt but to me, it's rude. I was in the grocery store the other day and some lady ran over my foot with her shopping cart! I looked at her and she just stared at me like it was my fault for being in her way!(keep in mind i was standing still, waiting in line and she was the one wanting to get by).
3. Their bikes are like their cars. And by that I mean, besides being their main mode of transportation, they also haul things on them(shelves, bags, etc), carry passengers(sitting on the back rack), and ride like they own the road. I think it will be pretty fun once I get my bike. :)
4. It's kind of annoying because today I wanted to by a 3-drawer thing for our bathroom but considering I am lucky enough to get myself to and from places on Dan's bike, I wasn't sure I could fanagle myself and this drawer. So I have to wait until Dan gets back.
5. You kind of feel like everyone is angry with you because Dutch is similar to the German language so it always sounds real harsh.
6. They only have marshmallows "in season". I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a season of marshmallows! so that means no s'mores. Not that it matters because they also don't have graham crackers.
It is an interesting place, that is for sure. And I really am liking it the majority of the time. It definitely comes with it's frustrations when you don't know where to find things or what anything means or they just flat out have never heard of what you are talking about (ie crisco or it's equivalent).
Oh and I decided I am not having children over here. More on that at a later date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh Sam...you don't want to deliver children in your apartment with no epidural?! WIMP
ReplyDeleteI'm not totally convinced I'm against the no epidural part, it's the having it in my apartment that wigs me out. "Oh, here nice guest, have a seat where I just birthed my first child!" Gross. But everything is so different here. you do not see an obgyn at all during your whole pregnancy unless there are complications. You see a midwife. It just makes me nervous. But I did look up the infant mortality rate and it's significantly lower than in the States...that's a good sign right?
ReplyDeletewhatever, no need to worry yet. NO sign of baby fever whatsoever.
It has only been a month. What are you sure it hasn't been 4 yrs? Miss you guys. Your blogs are hilarious. NO SMORES. That is awful.
ReplyDeleteLaurie