This morning I embarked on a journey to visit a woman I met at church. She is another American and she and her husband and kids live in the south west part of the city. I woke up excited about my first solo, long distance bike ride (it was 5.5km) and had decided that since she had told me it was a 20 minute bike ride, I would allow myself 10 extra minutes in case I got turned around a little bit. Oh how the proud stumble.
The streets in this town and I assume others in the Netherlands, are crazy. They are not laid out on a grid like in the States. They twist and turn and curve and before you know it, you've been on 8 different streets without ever actually turning left or right.
So I set out with my bike, purse in basket, directions in purse and was no further than 3 minutes away from my house and I was lost. Google maps said turn right but in Leiden street talk it meant a gentle slope to the right that no person in their right mind (pardon the pun) would call a "turn". I biked and I biked and I biked the same street 3 times, 4 different directions (yeah, try to figure that one out!) and finally I saw the main street I had been looking for!!! Hallelujah!! I did it!
Oh how the proud stumble again.
I continued on this path, looking for my turn. When I reached a major interstate(or whatever they are called here),I figured I'd better turn back or continue biking to Den Haag. While Den Haag is on our list of cities to visit while we are here, I kind of thought we might take a train to it. So I turned around and biked back and turned around again and as I look behind me, tears streaming down my face and my legs turning to marshmallows, I see the next street I had been looking for for the last 30 minutes.
Street signs are well hidden in this town. They are usually on buildings and sometimes not even present at all. It is a navigational nightmare. But, I had found the street. At this point I had been riding for well over an hour and was on the verge of just giving up and heading home(if I could find it) but at this point I was angry and determined not to let these cobblestone streets get the best of me.
I continued on, couldn't see the bike path so got honked at by a few cars, missed my turn but it was ok because at least I knew where my turn was! Finally after about an hour and 45 minutes of bike riding, I made it to my destination. I had long ago stripped off my jacket, even though it's 45 degrees here with a strong wind. I had sweat dripping down my face but I had arrived. I had conquered the streets of Holland for today.
And for those concerned about me making it home, no worries. I made it home in 20 minutes. Amazing what happens when you know the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Sam, You need a GPS, would that help?! Can you strap that on your bike handlebars?
ReplyDelete