The night I got home from Amsterdam, I was exhausted. I told Dan I didn't really have the energy to cook dinner so he decided that we should go to the store and both get something we've always wanted to try but haven't because of budget constraints. So we walked over to the store and got pizza...ha! They don't have a lot of pre-prepared meals and we didn't want to cook so that's what we ended up with. Ah well, trying new things is overrated huh? Anyways, so we come home and as we are walking up to our building, Dan says, "uh oh". Uh oh can only mean one thing when you are approaching your building and reaching into your pockets to get your keys. Dan forgot his keys. This has been my fear since living here because the doors lock automatically when you close them so if you forget your keys inside, it's a bad deal because your door is locked. I had left my keys at home too because Dan believed he had his.
So there we are standing outside in the cold, with a bag full of groceries. I did not bring a coat because we were just running across the street. The way our apartment works is that we share a common staircase with two other neighbors and the door on the street leads up to all of our apartments, but it is locked.
Then once we are inside, we have an apartment door, that is also locked but possibly easy to access with a credit card or something. So we start ringing buzzers of our neighbors but no one was home!
We are both looking around, trying to figure out what to do and both look up at our windows. Dan asks me if our windows are unlocked and I hesitantly say yes. For those of you who know my husband, you must tread carefully with anything that involves any sort of risk. If it is risky and sounds like fun, he's all over it. Before I know it, he says, "I'm pretty sure I can climb up there and we can get in that way". Uhhh...well, what's a girl to do who is locked out in the cold with a bag of groceries and no coat? Dan gives me his coat(he is in a white t-shirt) and starts climbing the building. Yes, climbing the building.
He uses the doorknob to hoist himself up onto the streetlight you see in the picture. At one point he is standing on the arm of the streetlight. People are coming by, stopping and staring at this crazy American. At one point a man approached me and says, " Is this a burglary in progress? Because if so, I'm going to have to call the police. " Uh yeah buddy, we're robbing the place, please go ahead and call. I mean really?? If we WERE robbing the place, do you think we'd tell you?? I explained what happened and I guess he believed us because the police never came.
Dan works his way off the streetlight and onto the white ledge to the right of the lamp and then steps (gigantic step) over and up to our windowsill (where I am in the window-these pics were taken after we were successfully in obviously). Our windowsill was so narrow that his whole foot would not even fit on it. Then he had to carefully squat down and lift the window up enough for him to slide in. It. was. crazy. But we made it in!!! and no was killed or seriously injured! Ahh the adventure.
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

WHAT. That's amazing! Kudos to Dan the MAN!
ReplyDelete