This was me yesterday. Only imagine it's a bike and there is no protective cab to keep me safe from the wind.
The winds have been out of control the past few days. I have never seen anything like it! Or maybe it's just that I'm usually within the safe confines of a car when it's happening. The first crazy thing the wind did was to assault an attack on our neighbor's cat. This cat likes to walk along the roof (probably between 3 and 4 stories high) and go into different windows to visit people. There are even cat stairs built up the side of the wall to allow it to get to the second floor. Anyways, the first day the winds swept in, poor Zeiko was walking along the side of the roof, as he always does, when a big wind came and blew him off the roof. Yes, blew him off the 4th story roof and sent him plunging to the canal waters below. Luckily cats have 9 lives and Zeiko grouchily climbed out of the canal, soaking wet and was fine. He's been kept inside since then.
It was all fun and games when the cat was getting blown off the roof but when the wind starts messing me, things get serious. Last night we were biking to a super bowl party (more on that later) and the winds were ferocious again! Dan and I had come up over a bridge and were on our way down when I was pedaling as hard as I could but the wind was apparently working harder. The wind literally stopped my bike dead in it's tracks by blowing against me and then appeared to switch directions and blew me over. Being the expert bike rider that I am ;) I was able to get my feet down just in time before I would hit the ground. Then the dust and grit came. While I was still recovering from getting blown off the bike, I was suddenly blinded by sand blowing in my eyes and was feeling the pelts of small particles. It was at that point that I thought about throwing my bike in the canal and walking to the nearest airport to catch the next flight to America. But then I remembered that I was on my way to a superbowl party and I'd be darned if I was going to miss it after refraining from getting online all day to avoid seeing who won!
Our friends, Brian and Suzanne, were having a Superbowl party at their house, which consisted mostly of Americans and a few Dutch spouses and football loving people. Another family from church had recorded it on slingbox. If you don't know what slingbox is and you are thinking about living abroad, you might check it out. Basically it's a box that gets hooked up to someone's tv back in the states and then you can record shows or watch live tv through your computer, no matter where you are. So we had the superbowl and all it's commercials. It was a fun time with lots of yummy food and drinks and good friends. And I was rooting for Green Bay so I was quite happy with the outcome!
Then Dan and I got on our bikes, turned on our headlights (yep, our bikes have headlights and tail lights) and headed home. Luckily the wind had died down so we were able to practice our no-handed bike riding.
The End.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment