Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Date night

This past Friday, Dan and I went out for dinner. The last few times we have gone out, we've always gone Italian because it's good and we know we both like it! Dan is one to try new things but my thinking is, if I'm fairly certain I'm not going to like it, why waste a good meal out? But somehow he convinced me to try this new restaurant, that I had originally thought looked pretty neat, until I saw the menu.  So we go here





about 6:45pm and walk into the restaurant. Remember, this is a Friday night. There is absolutely NO one in the restaurant.  We're both kind of looking around and the waitress asks if she can help us. Dan looks around and asks, " Do you have any available tables?" As I hold in a snicker, the waitress answers, "Yes, I believe we have a few".  She shows us to our table and brings us English menus. It should be noted that meals are not a casual affair here. When people eat dinner, it is a several hour event and usually does not start until a little later, as we were about to find out. 

Dan gets the brilliant idea to order appetizers, saying he'll choose something we've never had but first I have to agree to at least try it. Umm, when someone says that, it is always a bad sign. But I'm in a foreign country so I should expand my horizons a bit right? This is what he chooses


Oysters!!!! Slimy, salty, nasty oysters. Supposedly the idea is to take the shell, lift it to your mouth and swallow it whole. I tried friends, I really did. But the little oyster just would not go down my throat. It sat on my tongue, taunting me, until I was forced to spit it out. I literally felt like I had swallowed the ocean. So, oysters are not for me (or Dan for that matter, but he did end up eating the rest of them).

Next our waiter brought us something I'm still not sure of. I believe he said it was kale soup and a piece of cod on a spoon?? This is what it looked like

The soup was not so bad. I could do without the cod. But again, it could've been something entirely different because I wasn't really sure what the waiter said and Dan was in the bathroom. We weren't even sure if it was for us since we didn't order it.

By this time more people are coming in and the restaurant is getting quite busy. Dan talked me out of getting a fondue platter (you can't go too wrong with cheeses!) and I went for the veal. He had hare. Yes, hare. As in those little bunnies that are hopping around your backyard. Here is his

It also came with Hare soup. . .

and here is mine

Mine wasn't too bad. I wouldn't get it again but I was able to eat most of it.

Don't mine the picture quality. I was trying not to be too big of a weirdo by taking pictures of our food. I don't think it mattered though because when we got to the end of our meal, Dan wanted to take our leftovers home. We had minimal leftovers and I didn't feel like this was the kind of place that had doggy bags but we asked anyways. The waiter gave us a really confused look and said, "hmm, no we don't have any boxes but I can put it in a sealed bag for you". Ok, great! I was thinking he would come back with a restaurant bag or whatever. This is his idea of a sealed bag

Yep. 2 baggies tied up. We felt pretty backwoods walking out of there. Overall it was a fun experience and nice to get out for a night on the town! Here is me standing outside the restaurant, trying to not let my hair catch fire.

2 comments:

  1. you're very brave. None of that looked like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a good evening, it is always fun to try new foods. I had oysters once. Not something I really care to repeat, but the one time experience was good.

    ReplyDelete