Monday, February 21, 2011

Secondhand Drama


This weekend I made my weekly trip to the second hand shop, where I like to look for things to furnish our house. It was here that I had a very . . .interesting interaction with the Dutch customer service again. It may not even be customer service problems, just pure craziness, but I'll let you be the judge of that. 

So I had picked out a few teacups to use for a project I want to do. On one of the cups the price tag said "6x=6e", which basically  means there are 6 cups or pieces to it and for all 6 of them, it costs 6 euros. Well, there was only 2 cups there and I only wanted one so I took it. When I got to the checkout, the lady told me that it could only be sold as a 6 piece set. I explained to her that there were in fact, not 6 pieces but only 2. She told me she had to confer with her "colleague" (sidenote-everybody is a "colleague" here. It doesn't matter if you work at McDonald's, they are your "colleague"). After much Dutch speaking, she tells me she is going to have to go check out the cup to make sure there are not 6 there. I tell her sure and point the way, even though I can see the only orange cup left from where I'm standing. She comes back and says, "Yes, there is only 1 left".  Uh huh.  Then she must confer with her colleague again. After the consultation, she tells me that she has to charge me 6 euros for the one teacup. I look at her quizzically, thinking that there must be some translation problem and I ask her to repeat what she said. She tells me again that I have to pay the full 6 euros or she cannot sell it to me. Even though it costs 6 euros for SIX cups and I am only getting one, she still wants me to pay the full cost.  Once again, I cannot contain myself and I say, " Well that's just silly. I am not paying for 6 cups but only getting one. You would rather NOT sell me that cup than make one euro off of it? There are NOT even 6 cups to be sold!!" She just kind of shrugged her shoulders and I told her I didn't want it. Dan had wandered over at this point and I quickly explained to him what was going on and I could see on his face that he was about to say something we might both regret later, so I took my other two teacups and we left, muttering about the craziness that just occurred. 

And in other exciting news, today is our 6 month wedding anniversary!! It's hard to believe that we have married for 6 months already! Happy Anniversary Dan!!

1 comment:

  1. weird, they were trying to cheat you because you were foreign, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete