Monday, June 28, 2010

Random Netherland Facts

tulp.gif (880 bytes)the Netherlands" and "Holland" are the same country?(I like to refer to it as Holland because I feel like more people know what that is)


tulp.gif 
(880 bytes)Amsterdam has 1,281 bridges?
tulp.gif (880 bytes) when Dutch schoolchildren pass their exams, they hang a Dutch flag and a 
    school bag outside their homes?(interesting because we have a Dutch friend who says that most people do not fly flags and that it is kind of frowned upon, looked at as being overly patriotic. Don't worry, I will be packing my American flag to fly proudly!)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) one quarter of the Netherlands is below sea level?(very cool, they've actually recovered a large part of it from the sea.)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) the International Court of Justice is at the Peace Palace in The Hague?

tulp.gif (880 bytes) Dutch is also spoken in Belgium, northern France, Suriname, the Netherlands      Antilles and Aruba?(Joren VanDerSloot. . .)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) the Dutch are the tallest people in Europe?(poor Dan)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) Amsterdam is built entirely on piles?(can someone tell me what this means?)

tulp.gif 
(880 bytes) almost every Dutch person has a bicycle and there are twice as many bikes as cars?(Dan now joins these ranks! and I'm preparing by taking Spin classes at the gym!)
tulp.gif (880 bytes) about 30% of all Dutch babies are born at home?(please no one tell Dan this...maybe he won't read this post.)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) you'll find flowers in almost every Dutch living room?

tulp.gif (880 bytes) Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, but The Hague is the seat of       government?

tulp.gif (880 bytes) most Dutch people speak at least one foreign language?(hopefully I will be an American who speaks at least one foreign language after a few months)

tulp.gif (880 bytes) after Scandinavians, the Dutch are the world's biggest coffee drinkers?(crap, I HATE coffee

3 comments:

  1. Too late I already read it. Having little Danny Jr at home is a great idea.

    Why all the question marks?

    The Hague in Dutch is den Haag.

    And yes they are all giants here, there is a guy who is about 5'9'' who was telling me how short he was. Dumb Giant Dutchmen. The girls are also giant here, I don't know what the average is, but they are tall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also a previous coffee hater, but I thought I was going to Europe for a year (then I met Dave and decided to stick around) and decided to try to like it. You have to start with the sickening sweet stuff and work your way down. It worked for me, unfortunately, and now I'm addicted, and mainly like black coffee. But if you need to like coffee, that is the way to do it.

    Dave's Mom is an Afrikaner (Dutch South African), the tall thing makes a lot of sense. His mom is very tall as well.

    I love this kind of stuff, thanks for posting it. Did you find out about whether or not you got the apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and good luck on that home birthing thing...sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete