Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend Update from Sam Caputo



Ahh, the weekend has passed and now back to work...kind of:) So Friday was interesting and the day I found out I could be deported in two months. Ok, so the likelihood of that actually happening is slim but hey, it could happen! We went to town hall to "register" (ie, a way they can keep track of where you are. Really, to do anything in this town, you have to register and when you move, you have to notify them within 3 days of your change of address. . .creepy). I give the woman all my documents (passport, birth certificate, marriage license) and then tell her that I would like to register in my married name, not the name on my passport. She looks up at me in horror and in her Dutch accent says "Umm, if this is not your correct name, then your passport is not valid." Well, it is valid I tell her as I CAME INTO THE COUNTRY ON IT! Anyways, she then goes on to say that she cannot recognize our marriage as legal because it doesn't have a "postage stamp" on it. Now, by postage stamp she actually meant apostille, but with her Dutch accent and my untrained ears, I thought she said postage stamp and would continue to refer to it as a postage stamp throughout our lengthy conversation.

Who knew that when you go to a different country, you have to have this apostille filled out and stamped by your state on each important document, to verify it's legitimacy in a foreign country?? Not us! But this is important to get because without it, I cannot register and if I cannot register, I cannot apply for my residency permit, and if I don't get my residency permit, I get deported.(see first sentence of the post). As an American citizen I'm allowed 90 days to stay in the country without a residency permit. There are ways around it and more than likely I will not be deported but it does make the story a tad bit better. :) So, after a long registration appointment, in which we got nothing accomplished but to find out we're living in sin according to the Netherlands, I am still not registered and am in panic mode a bit to get this taken care of (ie, send my marriage license to jeff city, get this stupid apostille, have it sent back to me...which inevitably will take a month or so, and then start the process of applying for my residency permit).

On Saturday, we spent the morning putting up lights, getting into a fight about the lights, putting up more lights and then going shopping. Oh we spent all day shopping for an oven, washer/dryer, dishes, pot and pans..you name it, we were looking for it. I believe we found an oven. Interestingly enough, they don't have many full size ovens over here. Even the oven we are getting is smaller than the ovens we are used to in America. Not even sure most of them would fit a cookie sheet...but that's ok because they apparently also do not sell cookie sheets over here!!!!!! First time I have really felt that I wanted out of here as fast as possible. But when I went to this real Italian restaurant later that night, I was glad I was still in the country:) We did not have too much success shopping.

Oh! but i did find a bike I believe. I Can't pick it up until later in the week but as I was test riding it in the street, the bike salesman told Dan, "hmm, she hasn't ridden a bike much huh? needs a little practice?" Thanks man! In the United States of America we don't ride bikes much past the age of 10!!!!!!! embarrassing. but i did get a cute little wicker basket for groceries(translate:for my dog Tozer) and some saddle bags. I can't wait to get it!

As mentioned before, we took some friends who had been a big help in our transition over here out to dinner. We had a great time and enjoyed yummy Italian food. For those coming over to visit, we will have to go there!!

And to conclude our weekend, a nearly hour long walk to church (and back) this morning was the first time I really started missing home. I enjoyed the church a lot but church is church no matter what country you're in so for one minute if i closed my eyes, I could believe I was sitting in a gym back in Blue Springs, worshiping with the Gateway Band, surrounded by people I knew, and anticipating a family bbq later in the afternoon. It was the first time I got really sad since being here.
And then we had to walk the hour back home and my feet got really sad.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, I almost cried reading this!!! I get homesick when I'm visiting you in KC....can't imagine being that far away!! But itll be a great adventure that you'll remember the rest of your life! And before you know it, you'll start having some visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can't wait for visitors! It's such a neat place and i want more people to share it with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam-
    I just wanted to say I really enjoy your posts. The way you write your stories, they make me feel like I am there witnessing. I know there have been lots of laughs and some tears have started, but enjoy this adventure! Lean on God, and enjoy this time of really getting to learn how to lean on your new husband as he also get to lean on you as his wife! I am sure it is hard to be away, but enjoy this time together! Congrats on your one month anniversary!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE, I'm in Steamboat right now and we only ride bikes here too...we're just like the Netherlands, haha...and I'm WAY over 10, by they way!

    ReplyDelete