Thursday, September 23, 2010

All in a Dutch Day (or two)

Yesterday was a gorgeous day here. About 70 degrees, clear blue skies, and everyone was out and about. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually works over here because there were sooo many people out yesterday. My neighbor downstairs came by and asked if I wanted to go to the market with her(on Wed and Sat they have a fresh food market in the streets) and then go get coffee. I was eager to get out of the house and make some new friends so I went. At these markets, they have a ton of fresh fish. For those of you who watch Amazing Race, you are already familiar with the traditional Dutch dish from last season. It is raw herring, potatoes with carrots and peas mixed in...ugh. And the 3rd of October is when everyone eats this traditional meal and there is partying in the streets...but that is another post for next weekend. Back to the market, where I saw a man take a raw fish and put it down his throat. I wanted to vomit. We went and got coffee after the market and I got to ask her some questions about Dutch life. She is actually Italian but has been here for 3 years. She also helped me find out about Dutch language courses. We had a great time and did you know it's only an hour and a half flight from here to Northern Italy?!!

Last night I stopped at the store to get some peanut oil or lard to season my cast iron grill pan. Apparently they don't believe in that here in the Netherlands because I could not find it anywhere! I grabbed a stockboy and asked him but he had no idea. Pretty soon, I had 3 workers around me, while I'm trying to explain what I needed ("you know, lard, fat..back home we call it Crisco. Peanut oil maybe? or how bout just some vegetable oil? hmm, really? well what do you use to keep your muffins from sticking to the pan?"). I ended up with sunflower oil but i don't know if that is going to work or not. I was frustrated and walked home to spend another night burning my pizza on a nice pan.

Ahh but today was a new day! I got up early to go to the V & D(think Macy's or Dillard's but not as expensive). I had been waiting all week because they were going to be having "big sale, lots of discounts" today and I wanted to buy our pots and pans there. As I am looking at the pots I realize that I need to use the restroom before I go any further so i spot the sign for the toilettes. A woman, who I assumed was the cleaning woman, stopped me and told me I could not go in with my basket but when i showed her there was nothing in it, she allowed me to go in. When I came back out, she was still out there and stopped me and said "that will be 30 cent ". Hmm. 30 cents to use the bathroom?? Well I'm getting very embarrassed because I have NO cash or change on me. Two debit cards but I didn't see a debit machine laying around anywhere. So I pretend to dig and tell her that I didn't know it cost. She points to a sign where all I can recognize is the number 30. I tell her I'm sorry, I don't speak Dutch(and inside I'm saying "And in America, we aren't so tight that we have to CHARGE people to go to the bathroom!!! and we give FREE water with meals!!"). I find a 10cent piece in my wallet and she says she will take that. I apologize profusely and go out to get my pots. After lugging home 5 stainless steel, verrrrry heavy pots, it was time to go try and sign up for my Dutch language course!!

I decided to take courses at the community center, as it not nearly as expensive as taking them at the university. I explained to the woman that I was there to sign up for the Dutch level 1 course. She apparently did not speak English much at all, which is odd, but kept trying to communicate to me in Dutch. Hey! Remember when I was signing up the level 1 course?? There is probably a reason for that, hence why i do not understand you!!!! But somehow between her gesturing, my guessing, and a nice Dutch woman who was returning her books and DID speak English, I got enrolled in the class!! I start Maandag!!(Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment