Thursday, February 16, 2012

Baby update

I am now 18 weeks and Baby C seems to be getting bigger and bigger! I think I am beginning to get a baby bump (I will try and have Dan take a picture tonight), so now hopefully people will not think I've just been gaining weight:).  We had our checkup with the midwife yesterday and this was our favorite midwife yet. In the practice we go to, there are 5 and you meet with each of them because you don't know who will actually deliver you when it's time for baby. She was very nice, seemed to know what she was talking about, and seemed genuinely excited. Our appointments pretty much consist of taking my blood pressure (which was low 110/60 and may account for why I've had some dizzy spells) and then her feeling around on my stomach for the height of my uterus and then listening for the heartbeat. 

Yesterday she said my uterus felt great, whatever that means. She also said that based on the height of it, I was measuring about 19 weeks. I know the baby can have growth spurts and whatnot so I'm not too worried about it changing my due date. We also heard the baby's heartbeat, which is always so amazing! She found it right away and it was so loud and strong. It's amazing what a difference of 5 weeks can make. The first time we heard it, I could barely make it out but this time there was no doubt about it!! Dan timed it and the midwife also said it was about 150 beats per minute. I'm not sure what that means in terms of gender possibilities:) The baby also did not like being disturbed because after a few seconds  of the doppler being on it, baby C decided it had had enough of that and moved away. It was so neat to hear it move around in there! Baby did it a few more times while we continued to listen to the heartbeat. 

Next week we go for our ultrasound to make sure the baby is developing properly and to hopefully find out if Baby C is a boy or a girl! I'm so excited!!

Just some basic stats:
Me-I've lost about 12lbs  or 6kg since my pre-pregnancy weight. No weight gain yet.
      -18 weeks, 1 day
      -blood pressure has always been good
      -No morning sickness for about 2 weeks, a few days of dizzy spells,  but now mostly feeling normal again, except for this weird growth in my stomach:)
     -I think I have started to feel the baby move. No kicking or punching yet but just weird little flutters that happen for a few minutes at a time.

Baby-About 5 inches from crown to rump.
         -weighs about 7oz
         - doesn't like the doppler
         -is practicing it's gymnastics on a daily basis.


OH! In the last piece of exciting news, I am coming home in April for a few weeks to visit!! Dan, sadly, will not be coming with me. We decided to send me home after feeling sad about all my family and friends missing out on this whole pregnancy. I'm so excited to get to come home, do some baby shopping and get to hang out with everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment