Yea! Today I became a legal resident of the Netherlands and I have the card to prove it!
Now, nevermind that in my picture I look like I'm trying to keep from laughing, I probably was. I was trying my hardest to not make my picture look like a terrorist, like Dan's. They tell you that you can smile but you can't show teeth. It's surprisingly hard to do that and not look like a freak. So, looking only half-freakish, I'm official! Now in true Dutch fashion, I had an incident at the Immigration department. After being so proud of myself for riding the train by myself to the city where the IND(immigration) is, I got my number and waited in line. When it was my turn they handed me my permit and the woman told me that it was valid until May 1, 2011 and then we would have get it renewed. That's right, as in less than 2 months from now. It's because I'm here under Dan's permit, which expires May 1 so whatever. But being proactive, I decided to ask her how we apply for renewal. Our conversation went something like this;
IND lady- " Yes, your permit expires on May 1, 2011. You will need to apply for an extension 2 months prior to it's expiration."
Me- " Sooo...I need to apply now because it's less than 2 months until May 1"
IND lady- counts on fingers, March 1st- April 1st, April 1st- May 1st "ah yes, I guess it is. So yes you need to apply for renewal now."
Me- " Ok, great, well how do I do that?"
IND Lady- "You call this office and tell them you need the paperwork for an extension and they will send it to you. "
Me- "Well since I'm already here, can I just get the forms to fill out. "
IND lady- "No, you have to call. "
Me- looking bewildered "So you're saying that I have to call THIS office even though I'm already here, and then they will mail something to me? I can't get the forms today?"
IND lady- kind of shrugs shoulders "Yes, you have to call. Well I guess you could talk to my colleagues at information. Go back out to the main entrance, get another number and then come back in (same room mind you) and wait for them to call your number. "
Me-sigh with a big smile "Ok, thank you very much for the permit".
So I go back out to the main lobby, get another little number from the lady at the front desk who I know finds it as ridiculous as I do because she gives me a little chuckle when I tell her I need another number to talk to information.
After waiting about 20 minutes and reading a chapter in Pioneer Woman's new book, my number is called. I explain to the woman what I need and she looks up my information.
2nd IND lady- "Oh, I see your husband is a researcher? "
Me-"Yep"
2nd IND Lady- "Hmm, well we don't have the kind of forms he needs here".
Me-blank stare, cricket chirping "Soo...who does have the forms if the IND doesn't??"
2nd IND Lady "Hmm, well I would say probably his work. Yeah, have him check with his HR dept. But you need to do that soon since it's less than 2 months until yours expires. "
Me-silently in my head-"no duh"
Me-outloud "Thank you very much!" with my biggest American smile I could muster.
And then I walked out of there proudly with my 2 month valid residency permit and walked down to the wrong platform of the train. But don't worry I figured it out before I missed my train and safely made it back to Leiden.
Oh and I got a new haircut!
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment