Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Home

Sorry for the delay in posts but I've been running around or sleeping since my feet touched American soil but I'm finally feeling more adjusted and decided I'd better sneak a post in before I jump two more time zones to head to LA on Thursday.

I made it home safely. Barely. I had a little trouble getting through security in the Netherlands, which is the last place I thought I would have trouble. Apparently I was flagged because I was in the country 2 days longer than my 3 months I am allowed without a residency permit. I explained to them that my permit was "in process" but that did not stop them from asking to see a Dutch form of ID(remember how I just told you I didn't have my residency permit yet??) , talking to their supervisor 3 times, grilling me about when I got married(I had two passports, my old one with my maiden name and my new one with my married name.), demanding to see proof  that I live in the Netherlands, and last but not least, opening one of my wedding thank you cards and reading it!!!! I was in near tears, thinking they were not going to let me out of the country! But they finally allowed me through and I began my journey home.

The flights were relatively smooth. I judge my flights by how many times the captain has to turn on the fasten seatbelt sign due to turbulence. He only turned it on once during my entire 8.5 hour flight, so I consider that a success. By the time I reached KC, I was exhausted beyond words.

But it was nice to be greeted by people in English. To not have to process every word of advertisement, to get in heated transportation, to see open spaces.

But it's also kind of a reverse culture shock. There are so many choices for everything! There is so much convience. I felt like it was a welcome to America party when I got off the plane in Chicago and everybody was eating McDonald's. I mean EVERYBODY. One guy didn't even bother to use his hands to eat his fries, he just tipped the container to his mouth and poured.

We leave for LA on Thursday! Taping of the show is on Friday! I will definitely let everyone know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back and good luck on WoF!!! Let us know when it airs!

    ReplyDelete