Wednesday, March 19, 2014
An honest account
Deep Breath.
This has been a long, tough season. After my last post, things continued to spiral downward. Jonas got better (diagnosed with a milk allergy, put on special formula and VOILA! a new , happy, cooing, laughing, child!) but I continued to feel sad, angry, joyless, overwhelmed, etc.
I knew that I wasn't feeling like myself. I kept chalking it up to having a screaming baby and a young toddler, with no family support around. But things kept getting worse, even as Jonas got better and I had two happy kids. Dan and I would have huge arguments over crazy, ridiculous things and I would feel out of control.If I wasn't angry, I was crying. I had zero desire to do anything fun-wanted a break from the kids but didn't really want to do anything. My house was a disaster and I hadn't cooked a decent meal in months. Something was not OK.
I worked in mental health long enough to know that I had all the signs and symptoms of Post Partum depression. Part of me was briefly in denial and just wanted to keep waiting for my hormones to regulate again. But the larger part of me knew that I wasn't ok and needed to do something about it before I drove myself, my husband, and my kids, crazy. I thought about going on some medication but decided first that I wanted to try counseling. I felt like my hormones were still trying to regulate from the birth and I didn't want to throw new chemicals in there. I was/am in no way opposed to medication and felt that if I continued to get worse, I would go on them in a heartbeat but I wanted to try talking with someone first. I made a counseling appointment and went with a feeling of desperation but also with a glimmer of hope.
My counselor was/is fantastic. She helped me to see that it was ok to be depressed and more importantly, to need help. For those who know me, I'm more the helper, not the helpee...hence my work in social work:) But I was so desperate to get back to being me and to bring back a sense of peace to our house, that I didn't care who I told or asked for help.
One of the more difficult aspects of this time was being away from friends and family. We had a couple wonderful friends help us with watching the kids a few times and that was a great blessing. But I needed more. I needed time to breathe, to think, to journal, to pray, to shower, etc. And had we been closer to family, it would've made that a lot easier. However, we are getting through it.
I feel so much better, especially over the last few weeks. I feel like myself again. I kept telling my counselor that I just wanted to hurry up and get better faster and one of the best things she told me was just to accept where I'm at, to realize I am where I am and to just be. I think that advice helped me to fully accept that I was depressed. I am taking steps to overcome it but for the time being, this is where I'm at and that's ok.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Wow sweetie you got my heart and prayers. You have help me by sharing your story. Your an amazing woman, mother, daughter and wife from what I see and hear from your mother. It's okay to reach out and ask for help. I know it's your nature to always be the strong one but any mom out there who would tell you that it's hard being an everything I like to call it would not be telling the truth. You have done a wonderful job and it's okay to feel the way you do. It will pass in time. I know we're not close due to distance but I'm here for you if you need anything :)
ReplyDeleteGood for you for realizing that depression is not something to be ashamed of. So many of us go down that road at one point or another during our lives. It is natural to want to overcome it or rush the process. Take a deep breath and realize you are on the right path. You will learn so much about yourself during this time that will only make you stronger. It's called growth. Enjoy the process!
ReplyDeleteawwww, samuel. I love you. You are such an amazing person. I wish I was there to help you in some way! I am going to pray for you, though, so know that. Thank you for your honesty. I wish more women would be honest about this type of thing... it would help people like me not feel so alone at times!
ReplyDeleteI'm so so glad that you were able to really connect with the first counselor you saw. We care about you guys so much, and I'm thankful to know how we can pray for you.
ReplyDeleteHi Sammie,
ReplyDeleteFirst I am so proud of you. I have watched you and prayed for you and your family very much during this time. I know that at times you have doubted yourself because of how hard it was. I look at this differently. Hard seasons come to everyone in our lives. We usually don't know when they will come and what form they will take, but they do come. Your family skills (as a wife, mother, daughter, etc.) aren't reflected by how hard the situation is, but with how you go through the tough times. You reached out for help and are able to come through this. I watch you and your family on Skype, you have a happy family. At times I saw Jonas crying but looking to you and Dan for help. Even though he was hurting, you could see he trusted you and wanted the comfort you would give. Ellie continues to have her sweet gentle spirit. I see the guidance that you give to her, gentle corrections when needed, plenty of praise, etc. I saw her a couple of days ago loving on her dolly, I know where she learned that, it was from you and Dan.
I wish I could take the depression away and that this last season of your life was easier. I am proud of you for the steps you have taken and for the person you are. I applaud you for speaking up, because depression happens to so many of us. Your courage may very well help others.
I love you Sweetie and I will continue praying and helping in any way that I can.
Love,
Cheyrl