Monday, July 9, 2012

Market Weekend


This past weekend we decided we needed to get out and about and try to enjoy some of our last free weekends together. The weather has been warm for here, about 85 (I know, I know, I shouldn't complain because most of you are suffering in 105 degree heat but cut me some slack, I'm 9 months pregnant and there is no air conditioning). So most of my days last week were spent writhing around my house, positioning all the fans we have, on me as I lay with my marshmallowpuff  feet up and willing this baby to come out. But on Saturday, the temps had dropped back down to a much more reasonable 70 degrees and I was feeling good enough to get out and wander around for fun. 

So we went to the market and walked around. I love going to the market because there are just so many fun and different things to see. We bought a bunch of flowers from a place like the one you see above. We scurried through the fish market because the smell of fish still makes me want to throw up. Not sure I can blame that on pregnancy though. It's really a catch-22 because I like looking at all the crazy sea life they have laid out on ice (octupus, squid, giant fish, moving lobsters, etc) but can only stand the smell briefly. We were on the hunt for a taco stand we had heard about. Good Mexican food is a rarity here in Holland so when someone told us there had been an authentic Mexican food truck at the market, we knew we had to find it. And we did. And it was delicious. And expensive. And small. Basically we both had 1 taco and it was 6.50euros, which roughly translates into $8 for 2 tacos. It will not be a treat we have every week. 

Since we only had one tiny taco, we decided we needed some frites(fries) to eat. Frites are very popular here and very good. You eat them with mayonnaise. Sounds gross, I know but they have grown on us and now we love them that way. Of course, to top off our already super healthy lunch, we decided we needed some ice cream. So we sat down and ate that, giving me some much needed rest before our long trek home (long to me these days is 5-10 minutes, which was about the distance to home:) ). By the time we got home, we had been gone for an hour and a half and I was ready for my regularly scheduled nap. We spent the evening making homemade pizzas and I tried out a new dessert recipe. 



Mmm, they were so good but SOOOO rich. You can seriously only take like 2 bites because they are so rich. They are super easy. I made them from scratch but the recipe uses cake and brownie mixes

http://www.thelondoner.me/2011/06/slutty-brownies.html


I'm continuing to try and keep myself distracted so I don't dwell on when Ellie will arrive! It's getting harder and harder but I'm trying to keep in my mind that she will come at 41 weeks so when her due date comes and goes,I don't go crazy trying old wives tales to get her out:)

No comments:

Post a Comment