Sunday, March 11, 2012

Housing Udate

Housing. UGHHHHH!! We have been on a hunt for a new place to live since we found out we were pregnant. We LOVE our little one bedroom, 450sq ft apartment. It is our first home after all. However, it is one bedroom and while that might work for the first few months when Ellie is here, we don't want it to have to work once she gets a little older. The other problem is that we are on the first floor(which is actually a second floor in US terms.) So anytime I want to go out with her ( before she is old enough to be put on our bikes) I have to lug this massive stroller up and down a flight of stairs. I'm pretty sure it would result in at least one trip of Eleanor bouncing down the stairs in her stroller,knowing my  clumsiness :).

So we are on the hunt. We have looked at a few houses but there is honestly not a whole lot in our budget range. We thought we had found a place that was a little further out from the city center(which is where we live now) but we think it's going to be too much work and too much money to put into it for only living there for 2 more years. It's very common here for houses to be lacking flooring and lights. You may wonder what I mean by this so let me tell you. When we walked into this house, we were literally standing on a concrete floor. The entire 2 levels of flooring had been ripped up. Also, every single light in the house had been removed. It's utter craziness. So we would have to install flooring in the entire house, which was about 810sq ft. Luckily, we had to buy all of our lights for our current place when we moved in (if you remember one of my first posts after moving here, we were without lighting for a week or two and just lit some candles and called it romance :) ).  This entire house would also need painted as the people before left the place in bad condition. It's not completely out of the question but I think we are going to offer them a much lower rent price then they are asking and see if they bite.

In the meantime, I'm still emailing realtors and constantly scouring the websites for places that pop up within our budget. We will keep looking until early June, at which time we will wait until after Eleanor is here to look again because honestly I don't want to be moving at 8 months pregnant:)

*The house in the picture is not one of the house we looked at but is just a typical Dutch house that I thought was cute. Fun fact: The house in the picture is actually located in Haarlem, which is the city where Corrie Ten Boom's house is located.

No comments:

Post a Comment