By next week, I will be finished with my first trimester. What this means is that the possibility for miscarriage drops significantly, my baby is looking more human like, and I'm hoping it means an end to morning sickness. I started out just being nauseous in the mornings, then it moved to vomiting around lunch time and now I'm throwing up in the evenings. It's kind of a catch-22 because it's almost a comforting sign that things are going good but you really just want to spend more time out of the bed and toilet.
It's going to be very interesting to navigate this pregnancy through the Dutch healthcare system. Obgyn? who needs 'em?! getting weighed? nope! Want to get a hold of your midwife? better call during the 1 hour a day that the phones are answered! Here in the Netherlands, they exclusively use midwives, unless there are major complications, then you are referred to a doctor. 40% of Dutch women give birth at home (I will not be doing that, fyi). They do minimal prenatal testing and feel that pregnancy is a very natural thing and nature will just take it's course. I have a feeling I will have some good stories to tell throughout this whole process so stay tuned!
We had our first ultrasound yesterday and it was amazing!! You never know what you will think or feel because for the past several weeks, while you know you are pregnant, all you really know is that something is making you crazy sick. So to finally see the little one was such a surreal experience. As soon as we found the baby, it looked just like a little person! It was moving around like crazy! It had it's arms up and appeared to be waving at us. Even the ultrasound tech was laughing and commenting on how much it was moving. I think it takes after it's parents and enjoys being photographed. When it finally rested for a few minutes, we were able to see the heart beat, moving steady and strong. I may be biased but I'm pretty sure we have the cutest in utero baby!!:) The baby was measuring perfectly for it's age (just under 2 inches long, 11weeks, 3 days). We'll go back again around 20 weeks to make sure everything is developing properly and find out the sex.
Here are some of the first pics of baby Caputo!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congratulations!!! So good to see some updates on your blog & see pics from all of your trips. Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy! You'll forget the sickness once it's gone & it's so worth it! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like being pregnant in the netherlands is quite an adventure! So excited! Our kids will only be a couple months a part. And yes the sickness is so so worth it, i hope you can climb out of it this week!
ReplyDelete