Saturday, December 31, 2011

Baby Time!

Since we had the Bahama vacation (see post below) we were fortunate enough to get to go home for Thanksgiving this year! We got to spend a lot of good times with family and friends but I would say that my best memory of being home would be finding out that we are having a baby!!!

After our Bahama vacation, I kept telling Dan that I felt "different" and wondered if I was pregnant. We hadn't exactly been trying but there was enough possibility that I could've been. We decided to wait a bit to see if anything changed and thought maybe it was attributed to all the traveling we had been doing. The week of Thanksgiving, I started feeling nauseous and on our drive to Illinois on Thanksgiving day, I couldn't talk for fear of vomiting. We decided later that night that we would take a pregnancy test the next day. We had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed getting to spend the time with Dan's family.

On Friday, we were back in St. Louis and had to do a little last minute Christmas shopping for his mom so we went to Target. We also decided to buy the test and take it in the bathroom. Yes, yes we did. Both of our mom's were very gung ho about us having kids so we didn't want to take the chance of them finding the wrapper and getting any ideas!:) So I made Dan buy the test because I was going to be using the private, handicapped bathroom right next to the pharmacy where he was buying the test, so that would be embarrassing if they saw me buy it and then go directly into the bathroom!!:) So I went into the bathroom and took the test. and waited. and waited. and waited. Nothing was happening! no lines were turning, the control line was not changing. Nothing! So I re-read the instructions and they said if the control line hadn't changed after 10 minutes, then it was a faulty test or I did something wrong. So after 10 minutes, I came out of the bathroom to an expectant Dan. "Uh..I think I messed it up." Dan just looked at me and started laughing and asked me how I could mess it up? I don't know but luckily there were two sticks in there. Of course now I no longer had to go to the bathroom.

So we walked around Target some more and then decided we needed to go to Kohl's, the whole time laughing about how we seemed like a bunch of teenagers, trying to find out if we were pregnant. So we drive to Kohl's and I'm chugging water on the way, determined not to mess this one up (Those tests are freaky expensive!) Dan and I made a deal that I would wait to look at it until I came out of the bathroom so that we could look at it together, since it's supposed to take up to 3 minutes to change. So, I went to the bathroom and as soon as I finished and went to place the cap on and wrap it in toilet paper, it had already turned positive!!! 3 minutes? more like 3 seconds!  I came out of the bathroom with a big smile on my face. Dan said later he thought I had messed up the test again because I was smiling. I pulled out the test and showed him and we both started silently screaming (we were in Kohl's remember) and hugging and kissing. We quickly made our way out of the store where we did not have to be silent anymore.

We knew we wanted to tell our families right away so that we could tell them in person. We bought a newborn onesie that said, "what happens at grandma's, stays at grandma's" (it was all we could find! ) and surprised Dan's mom with it at dinner that night. The waiting for them to get it is priceless! Of course she was very excited and ready to start shopping!:) We told my parents a few days later when we were back in Kansas City. My mom did not get it for about 30 seconds. She just kept looking at it and saying, "oh that's nice". She thought it was a shirt for my 4 year old niece! Finally someone said, "do you get it?" and then she freaked out. We had tricked her earlier in the day when we met up with Dan's mom in Columiba to go shopping. They kept talking baby stuff and I kept acting like I wanted to no part in talking about it. So my mom was fully convinced we were not going to be even trying for awhile!! It was great!

So we are super excited! I'm due July 18, 2012. Which means I'm about 12 weeks along. We can't wait for our little Baby Caputo to get here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment