Friday, July 1, 2011
Holidays
People often ask me how I've adjusted to moving abroad or if I'm really happy here. The majority of the time I can say that I've adjusted really well and that I'm very happy here. It's exciting living in a different country, a different continent even! I love the experiences that I am getting to have and the new friends that I have made. I love figuring out marriage with my husband and the attitude that it's us against the Netherlands we have to have to survive. But it never fails, every holiday that approaches, I get a little emotional.
I know that I am missing out on birthdays and easter basket hunts and 4th of July barbeques. This is cherished time with family and friends. Memories are made over games of washers and watching everybody take off running when your brothers light fireworks off in the wrong direction. It's wondering every year if the rain will hold off long enough for us to shoot fireworks but desperately wanting a little rain to cool off the 100 degree temps.
Holidays are times where differences are set aside and everyone gathers to be together. Holidays are times of traditions. People might say we are making our own traditions here and we are, to an extent. But what if you like some of your old traditions, like eating homemade mac and cheese and celebrating the 4th of July? Things you can't do here. Some of the new traditions we make here, we may not be able to re-create when we move back to the States. I'm a big holiday person and traditions are important to me.
This weekend we will head off to our South African Braai (kind of like a bbq) with our small group and I'll bring along some 4th of July cupcakes. Only half the people there will really appreciate them and there won't be any fireworks to shoot off or homemade mac and cheese to be eaten.
So eat a hot dog and write my name in sparkler lights for me. Celebrate your independence and cherish the time you are spending with family and friends. Miss you all and Happy 4th of July!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment