Dan made it to Holland!!! After a loooong flight (due to a delay on the tarmac), a missed flight out of Dublin to Amsterdam, and one lost piece of luggage, he is snug safely in his bed at the Golden Tulip. He went to work today and got to meet his research team. For those who aren't sure what Dan is doing(this will be a test to see if he's reading this and to see if can get it right!), he is working on his PhD and will be doing research for a professor. The research consists of finding out what happens when two black holes merge...apparently they should become a "supermassive blackhole" but that doesn't happen and they are trying to figure out why. So he and some other guys will be working on that for the next 4 years and he'll be writing his dissertation on that. He will NOT have to teach classes or take classes and he gets paid to do it! He is technically an employee of the Dutch government. He will have an office(that he shares) at Leiden University.
So far since being there, he has not eaten any native food...i know, i'm not sure how he's gone 2 days without eating but that's him for ya! so we'll see how the food is. he saw a pizza shop on his way home tonight so i'm sure that will make it's way into his stomach real soon. He did go look at a possible room to rent that was nice and cheap but upon arriving, the girl renting it changed the terms so it was a no go. Hopefully he can find a cheap room and keep saving money so we can have a place to live when i come over!!!
He promises me pictures this weekend so i'll post some real pictures then!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I cannot even tell you how jealous I am that Danny is researching BLACK HOLES!!!! I LOVE black holes!! and space!! And Stephen Hawking!! In fact, I made my typing class do power point presentations on black holes and time travel, just so I could learn more stuff :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm very jealous that he gets to stay in any place called "The Golden Tulip."
What are YOU planning on doing in Holland for 4 years? Are you going to work somewhere?
I know! black holes are awesome! if they exist...:) yeah, golden tulip is pretty sweet, although he is definitely ready to get settled in some place. HE feels like he is just visiting.
ReplyDeleteHmm, what am i going to do for 4 years? good question. Not sure. i want to work doing something. But probably at some point raise a baby??i don't know, not really on the baby bandwagon right now
uhhhh, one thing at a time. geez. I think you should work in a flower shop or become a tour guide.
ReplyDelete