Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rainy Days

This was me today, riding my bike in the rain. This is not a rare occurrence here, in fact, many would say it's the norm. The Dutch have their system down of checking the radar (like the one below)
 and then making a mad dash for it, in between rain showers. Unfortunately for us, the map is rarely ever this empty. This morning you could not even see the green on it, as all of Northern Europe was under clouds. This can make for a long, cold, wet ride.

All this week I have been babysitting a 3.5 month old little Italian boy named Pepe. Today I showed him a youtube video of pepe le peu, the french skunk. That's what I think of whenever I say his name so I thought I'd culture him a little bit. :) Anyways, this family lives about 5 miles away from my city so it's about a 25 minute bike ride on a windy day. Normally, it's a pleasant ride, but on mornings like this, it's downright miserable. I started the morning off poorly by not being able to find any of my rain gear. I couldn't find my rain pants or my awesome blue poncho.

These are necessity items in this country. So I did the best I could and put on two pairs of leggins, a waterproof winter coat, and a hood thing that made me look like a robber. I was pretty wet by the time I reached my destination but thanks to smart thinking on my part, I had brought along a change of clothes.

It's days like these that I miss the luxury of having a car for every day use.  Of course, I could always get one of these and that might solve most of my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment