I wrote an email to my best friend after the first day of diving and I think it sums up pretty well my thoughts on the whole thing so I'm just going to copy and paste it here...and then maybe add a few more comments about the end of the experience.
1st dive-miserable
floundering around like a beached whale
floating
sinking
falling forward
falling backward
can't stay still on the lake floor
ended dive a tad early due to my incompetence
crying in my mask
hoping everyone thinks it's water
vowing to not come back the next day
asked to do a 2nd dive
wanting to cry again
willing to give it another shot
focused on my breathing
started to flounder upon initial descent
saved from rolling down a giant sea hill by the instructor
finally got my bearings
was able to kneel on the sea floor and not move
still not moving
not floating
this is good
doing underwater exercises
for example
taking our regulator(breathing thing) out of our mouth and throwing it behind us.
have to find the tube
get regulator back in mouth and breathe again
went pretty well
was able to take a swim because my buyouncy was finally more controlled
saw a crawfish
they call them small lobsters
saw one fish
seriously, one fish in one hour
felt better about it
not quitting yet
sore
did get to fall out of the boat backwards
almost peed my pants when i got back to shore because i had to pee so bad
glad there is only 3 more days left
hope the scenery in the bahamas is worth it
pretty sure i could be content just snorkeling on the surfaceThe experience got better as the week went on but seriously, it is so much effort to just even get ready to get in the water! I think our deepest dive was about 40 feet and we were typically under for about 40-50 minutes. We passed our certification written and training test so we are officially scuba certified!! We also got our picture taken to be in the Naui Scuba magazine for being "prize winners" (that's what they kept calling us all week long). Overall, it was a tiring experience and I'm still hoping that it will be worth it when we are some place tropical.
Someone, Anyone, please tell me it will be worth it.


it's worth it!!! I LOVE scuba diving, you're about to discover an entire new world!! GO on a a night dive, totally thrilling!
ReplyDeleteScuba diving is amazing. You will see once you are in clear blue waters. It sort of feels like flying.
ReplyDeleteYour post was so funny, I laughed out loud. How did Dan do? I think you did great, you stuck with it. The Bahama's have got to be better than a lake. The only encounter I had with a tank of air, under water was in someone's pool. It was hard for me to breathe under water, but I only gave it 1 afternoon try. I so enjoy your blog.
ReplyDeleteJeff loves to scuba dive and so does Ms. S :)
ReplyDelete