Wow, it has been a few weeks since I posted last but life has been a whirlwind. I started my intensive Dutch language classes 2 weeks ago. This class is 5 days a week, 5 hours a day with 3 hours of homework at night. They were not lying when they said it was intense! It is very fast paced and sometimes I feel like my head is just spinning around. I go to sleep thinking about Dutch words and I wake up thinking about them. Apparently I even sometimes talk in Dutch in my sleep. I have two and 1/2 more weeks left of class and I'm hoping I'll be speaking Dutch by then..at least enough to get around. It's difficult when you try to practice, like at the market or a store, because when someone sees that you are struggling to come up with the words, they switch to English. At this point, it takes me a little bit to process what I want to say and then how to say as well as processing what they say back to me. I am getting better though!
So that has been consuming our lives here the past few weeks. I employ Dan to help me study my vocab sometimes but for those who have ever heard Dan speak Dutch, I think it might be more detrimental to me than helpful:)
In other sad news, my bike has been in the shop for the last week and apparently may be there for up to 2 more weeks! We took it in to get its tune up and found out that the wheel was broken...whoops. So I will be bike-less for awhile.
OH! and we are scheduled to do our scuba diving lessons the week of August 29 here in the Netherlands. I can't wait! It just means we are one step close to our Bahama's trip in November! We should be booking our tickets back home soon!! IT will be nice to be back on American soil for a bit.
ok well, ik moet boodschappen op de markt gaan!! Tot ziens!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sam, Good for you for working so hard to learn the language! That is wonderful! Let me know when you will be back in town in Nov...we might be there then too!
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Katie