Monday, April 4, 2011

Huisarts

The other week I had my first doctor's appointment in the Netherlands. I always gear myself up for adventures like these because I never know what they have in store. The general practitioners here are called Huisarts, which literally means home doctor. I believe they used to make house calls and some still do.Most of them operate out of a house, like the ones you in the picture. Sometimes it's even their own house!  But the idea is that you choose a huisart that is near your home. So I looked up the list of doctors and called one in my postcode. I had a difficult time understanding the woman on the phone but was able to schedule an appointment and explain that I was a new patient.

The following day I went to my appointment, where I discovered what I had really scheduled was my registration. The receptionist handed me a clipboard and told me to fill out the top half of the paper, which was basically demographic information. My "appointment" was over. Now, to be fair, I'm pretty sure this was a lost in translation issue between us so I asked her if I could schedule a time to see the doctor. She scheduled me for the following morning. They are very good about getting you in here. You can typically get in that day or at the latest the following day.

The next day I showed up (again) to see the doctor. She was a very nice older woman who took me into her office, which looked like a real home office. In one corner, there was a patient bed that was half enclosed with a decorative room separator. She led me over to her desk and I sat down and sort of felt like I was in the principal's office. We talked for a few minutes about what I needed, she wrote me out a prescription and an order for an X-ray on my knee and that was that! There was no co-pay, no wait, none of the usual hassles we get back in the States. It was great!

So today I went to get my knee x-rayed (minor mishap with tripping over my too long of pants and falling up, yes up, the steps about a year ago). It's always an adventure to follow google map directions in this town because roads curve slightly and then are named something different. I finally found the hospital, which confused me because I thought I was going to a place that just did X-rays (again with the communication barrier) but I walked through the revolving doors and was able to read the dutch word for radiology (don't be impressed, it's radiologie) and made my way to the department. When I came out of the elevator, I walked into a large waiting room that was filled to the max, behind a long line to sign in. So I inwardly sighed and got in line.

When I finally made it up to the desk and handed the woman the note from my doctor, she asked for my card. I started to pull out my insurance card but she stopped me and asked for my registration card. Hmm?? Apparently at hospitals you get registered and then receive a little folder that you bring with you everytime you come to the hospital and it already has your information on it as well as stickers to go in your chart. Pretty nifty actually but it was a pain because it meant I had to go back down to the main lobby and register. 

Finally, after registration, which took no more than 10 minutes, I was back in action. This time though, everyone in the waiting room had magically disappeared and no sooner had I checked in and sat down, my name was called. So they had me take my pants and shoes off, which I thought was a little weird. I mean, the machine can see through my skin but my cotton sweat pants are just too much?? But whatever, the x-ray was done.

All in all, it was a very pleasant first time experience with the health care system in the Netherlands. The only money I had to pay out was 13euros for 3 months worth of medicine, that would cost me $75 in the States, WITH a discount card. Now, don't be too fooled though, we do pay like 42% of our income to taxes so . . .they get you somehow.

Hopefully this great experience continues with whatever health care needs that arise. I'm sure I will have interesting stories to tell whenever we decide to have children. Did you know nearly 50% of Dutch women give birth at home?? And you don't see OBgyn's here except in high risk pregnancies. You work with a midwife. But these are stories for another time, far down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment