On Easter, April 4, 2010 Dan asked me to marry him and I said yes!!! It was absolutely perfect and I couldn't have thought of a better proposal myself (and believe me, I've thought a lot about it!:) ).
It all started earlier in the week when we were planning on going to St. Louis for Easter to celebrate with his family. His mom always has a big Easter celebration and makes easter baskets for everyone in attendance and then they hide the baskets and we all search for them. Well, this year due to circumstances planned out by Dan and his mom, we decided at the last minute not to go to St. Louis. We were all bummed that it wasn't going to work out but decided he would come to Kansas City for Easter and we would spend it with my family.
Dan is finishing up his thesis for his Master's degree and had to have it turned in by Tuesday so he has been working very hard and was not going to come down into town late Sat night and then leave again Sunday evening. The next day we went to church and I was a tad bit grouchy in the morning because I was feeling stressed about Easter. I had volunteered myself to make the Easter dinner (why? I don't know) and then his mom had decided at the last minute to come spend Easter with us in KC, as the other situation had fallen through. I was stressed because she was just going to beat us to my parent's house and had only met my parents once before. I was also grouchy because I knew that my mom would be expecting a proposal since all our family was together and I didn't want to have to listen to a lecture about why we were not engaged yet(sorry mom!!!:) ). So I told Dan on the way to church, "Can't we just go to wal-mart and get a fake ring and fake a proposal so I don't have to hear about it later? because you know my mom is going to be expecting it, even though I know it's not happening today" ha! famous last words! Not sure how Dan kept a straight face!
So we went to church and worshipped together. After church, we headed to my mom's house to meet u with the family. Dan's mom had brought easter baskets for everyone, as she does every year for the great easter basket hunt. So she and my mom went out and hid the baskets while I trashed talked about being the best basket finder ever! Then all the adults went looking for their baskets and I could not find mine ANYWHERE! Finally, I was the last one and everyone was giving me a hard time since I'd been trash talking the loudest. Our family has a tradition where we'd always search for the golden egg, because it was worth $25 and I have been known to push a cousin or two out of the way to claim the golden prize! Finally after a game of "hot or cold" clues from my family, I found my basket (which, was not actually out the whole time so I am still a great basket finder!) and in it was no candy, only a golden egg!!!!! I was very confused but things started coming together.
My whole family was standing around and i stood there looking at the egg for a bit until Dan said, "open it". So I did and there was the ring! He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him!!! I was shocked! I asked him if this was real and then bit the ring to see if it was real. I kept saying things like " Your thesis isn't done yet! How did you do this?!" Never actually answering him. Poor guy was on his knee for quite awhile until he asked again and i said yes!!!!!! The ring was his grandmother's ring, who is no longer with us. It was more amazing than I could have ever imagined!

No comments:
Post a Comment